Monday, December 28, 2015

Food This Week 12/27

Christmas and Ainsley's Birthday are over.  We had the first "it's no fair my birthday is right before Christmas.  I want it to be more spread out!" realization.  But it really was all wonderful.  It helped this new house feel even more like home.

Now i feel like real life is really beginning here.  It's not all so brand new and most things are where they should be.  This winter will be a whole lot of adjusting I'm sure, but for now things feel good and exciting and calmer all at once.  I'm glad for that.

I am SO excited for cooking. I think I'm finally getting the hang of our appliances and this new fancy kitchen a bit more and some new pans from my mom for Christmas helped greatly to get me geared up.

As usual after a holiday I am most excited for simple healthy food.
Tonight it was Smitten Kitchen's Lentil Soup with Sausage and Chard.  It was phenomenal and so easy.  I went to our co-op to get some good homemade italian sausages and french lentils.
While there I noticed they had a bulk bin just for 32 bean and veggie soup so I got a cup of that too to make soup with Ainsley's leftover birthday ham.
Ian wanted burritos so I'm going to make Ree Drummond's recipe.  I'm heading to Trader Joe's with the kids tomorrow to get ingredients.
While brainstorming ideas I landed on roasted chicken which I so rarely make for some reason.  Truthfully I'm just not wowed with roast chicken and I find cooking it right is actually so difficult.  But! A new recipe is always hopeful for me and Giada's with all those herbs and veggies sounds perfect right now in this first true Minnesota cold snap snow.  I can't wait.
I also got some good tuna packed in oil for a pasta or tuna melts.  Once I tried tuna in oil I was hooked!
Oh, and spinach and feta for a frittata or a pizza.  And sweet potatoes for hash and eggs.
I love easy winter cooking.

Ooh and one recipe to note from Christmas, I made Eggnog Pie from a new recipe and it was really good and so easy which I think for me made it taste even better.

Ainsley is sick today, again!  My poor girl is, I'm hoping, just crashing from her big long weekend.  I am so thankful for my mom coming over to watch the kids so I could still grocery shop and for our new DVD player which lets us watch netflix and amazon on the TV.  It's a good snuggle day.

Hoping you all had a wonderful Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.