Wednesday, December 16, 2015

First Weeks Here

Well hello there from our new home in Minnesota.  I still can't fully believe we're here.

We moved in just over two weeks ago to our house.  It felt so weird those first nights.  But then we just kind of settled and at least for Ian and I it feels like it's always been home.

I guess in my mind I expected us all to just jump right back in.  Back of course for Ian and I, but the kids, my girls especially, I wasn't expecting so much angst and sadness. Tonight Louise was sobbing about every little thing (paper cuts, bears) and big things too (I just don't feel as safe here as I did in Oak Park, I'm worried about riding my bike when there aren't sidewalks!).  Ainsley has really had a tough time of it.  If you're the praying type say a prayer for our girl please.  I am so thankful to be in a place where we have so much support, school, doctors, parents and family.  It's been overwhelming in ways I hadn't even fathomed.

Ian and I are doing really well, Felix too.  Felix LOVES his new preschool and has not shown one blip in the radar.  I am so thankful for that!  I feel an ease and comfort that I haven't felt in a long time.  We love our home so much.  It feels like a dream everytime I cook in the kitchen or walk into our backyard to take the girls to the bus, or snuggle on the couch in our basement to watch a Christmas movie with the girls. or use our OWN bathroom!  It's crazy.  Ian is really liking his new job, the work and all the people there. We are both homesick for Oak Park though.  I wish it were easier to just pop down for a day.  See some favorite people, eat some favorite food.  It's going to be a longer adjustment than we'd planned for, but we'll get here.  That first big snowfall here and ice skating and sledding and fort building would really help.  Come on snow!!!

This year I am extra thankful for Christmas.  It's been hard to let go of those wonderful weeks of preparation and really get down to the bare necessities of celebrating, but we're loving it still.  Baking cookies for a new neighborhood cookie exchange, making (and eating sneakily!) gingerbread houses, counting down the days, decorating TWO trees!!! (one just with white lights and homemade adornments, something I've always wanted but haven't had the space for!).  Ainsley is over the top excited for her birthday, tinged with sadness about not being able to celebrate with her friends from Oak Park.  I'm excited for her big family party and hoping she warms up to the idea of a little party with new friends in the new year.

I'm somehow just about set with gifts and to dos.  I'm making so very little this year which is sad to me, but I'm looking forward to the long winter ahead with my sewing machine humming and the fire crackling in time with my knitting needles.  It will happen, there's time for all of it.

First settling in more, getting our girls all righted and happy, and loving on this new home of ours.


2 comments:

  1. Amber Lenhoff (Winterstein)December 17, 2015 at 9:31 AM

    Welcome back!! I know how long you've been wanting to come back to MN and I'm glad you finally made it! I'm sorry it came at a time when you finally felt like Chicago was becoming home. I hope your girls find things to love about their new home and city, looking back, it really was a wonderful place to grow up. Maybe someday we can get our knitting needles together and I can meet these adorable kids you have! (And pictures of the house soon please!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber! I'd LOVE to have a knitting date! Where are you living? the next few weeks are a bit crazy but the end and beginning of March are wide open. I still think of how you sent Ainsley a handknit hat. It'd be great to reconnect!

      Delete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.