Thursday, September 17, 2015

First Weeks

This week Felix started school in earnest which meant I had two whole mornings to myself.  It felt odd I'll admit, that first morning.  Dropping off my little guy and getting into the car without anyone else to buckle or talk or sing to.  Then I had coffee with a friend and all but forgot the oddness and just sank into the wonderfulness.

Filling my new time has been a process.  I am so aware not to waste it, yet kind of wanting to waste it.  Does that make sense? I'm thinking a bit of both will happen of for now I'm just glad to have the options.

This morning I decided to try running Felix to school.  This meant I got my 3 mile (interrupted) run in by about 9:05 in the morning, leaving maximum time for, well, whatever I'd like.  I showered and dressed and decided to get out.  Grabbed my knitting and my new book and hopped in the car.  I found myself grabbing my first pumpkin latte of the season and plunking on a bench in a park I used to take Ainsley to as an infant all the time.  I read a bit, zoned a lot.  
I was approached my a 20 something man on a bike. "Do you like to read?" Ummm...this proceeded to be a hilarious conversation, the origins of which I'm still not very clear on.  Perhaps he was just wanting companionship for a moment, though he did slip in a "so you live in Oak Park with your boyfriend?" It was all I could do not to burst out laughing.  "Um, no, with my HUSBAND, and our THREE CHILDREN.  This is my preschool time."
To his credit he kept talking to me for a moment.  Asking if I had any recommendations for him, an aspiring chef.  I told him about my favorite "foodie" book, A Homemade Life by Mollie Wizenberg.  He said he couldn't get it at the library because he was banned "because of an altercation I had with a person there once".  But was thankful and sincere.
People are really really fascinating.

As if by coincidence I stumbled across a very thorough college journal of mine today while cleaning out the basement. It was mostly from my sophomore year, clearly a time of great angst and excitement in my life.  Looking at who I was 10 years ago, well, wow.  That's a nap time wormhole for you.  It made me so thankful for now.  It can be easy for me to idealize how life was or where we were, but I'll take 31 year old Becky over 21 year old Becky any day.

I'm really loving our fall groove.  The days have such a nice flow.  My mornings with Felix are so lovely and easy.  He is so happy to do whatever.  Usually we hit a park up first thing then run any errands that need doing before lunch.  Yesterday we ran to Costco and had fun stocking up.  Cheap pima cottons Ts for Ian, new footie jammies for Felix, lots of fruit and snack size bags of goodies for the girls' lunches and snacks.  I've given in to convenience a bit with all that and I must say I love it.
I bought a lot of food too.  Frozen lasagna and shrimp and cans of tuna and tomatoes.  With so many busy evenings in our weekday lives these days I'm thankful to know that there is food.

A few favorites of late...
Rotisserie Chicken and Cheese Nachos with Farmers Market Corn, Zucchini and Onions on the side
Chicken Wild Rice Soup and Rosemary Parmesan Bread (this makes so much! I hope it freezes well because no way can we eat it all in time)
Tuna Salad on Rosemary Bread with Sliced Farmer's Market Tomatoes

I have lots of that corn side to use up, chicken too.  I may make some crepes with the kids for tonight with a simple cheese sauce to use it up.

So far homework and practicing and activities haven't gotten so burdensome.  Louise loves doing any work she can and Ainsley has mellowed a lot since last year.  She was devastated that she read directions wrong on a worksheet today at school, missing a point so I recreated the worksheet at home so she could get her hand drawn star and smiley face.  It made that girl's day.

I'm hopeful for more ease ahead, for us, and all of you too.
Happy first weeks of school!





No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.