Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Clay

Tonight Ainsley and I had our first pottery class.
We'd tried to get in last session but didn't get placed in the lottery.  She was so excited to try again this spring and though I was weary of the late timing (goes until 8:30!) and already full afternoon (Louise has ballet just before it across town) I obliged.
I am so so glad I did.




It's two hours of time with my girl, just us two, doing something we both love, making and getting messy.  She bounded down the stairs in a floor length skirt, necklace and dress shoes, ready to go.  I insisted she go change because we were going to get DIRTY.  For once she actually listened and we headed out for our night.
The class is essentially an open studio time, with instructor Chris, a twenty something ceramist who's as chill as they come. We were surrounded by 8-12 year old girls and their mom's, all who had taken the class before.  The doted on us both, especially Ainsley, showing us the ropes and helping us along.
For me it's a chance to make again.  I really really loved pottery in college.  I'm glad to get to do it gain.
For Ainsley it's a chance to learn something new, to create and use her imagination, her two favorite things.
For us it's a special time together without siblings or distractions.
I'm really really thankful for this class with my girl.  I know it's going to be a really good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Been reading this since Louise was born...have only commented a couple times. I wanted to say this was the sweetest post and I think you're a great Mama! Hope the pottery class continues to be magic for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun mother/daughter activity! Way to be making awesome memories with Ainsley! You will have to post of some your masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.