Friday, August 29, 2014

First Week of School

I have so many things to say.  Blogging has become overwhelming because I don't know how to fit it all into the small snippets of time that I have to write.  Still I know anything I can get out is better than nothing because I want to remember this all.  So here I am.

It's been the most tremendous week.  Last Friday was Louise's birthday party with 12 little friends in our teeny tiny house, Saturday was our all day extravaganza of a block party, Monday was the first day of kindergarten, Tuesday was Louise's birthday, today was the third day of kindergarten (and let's face it, the third day is SO much harder than the first).  Life is crazy full.

My first thought is Ainsley.  She had a hard time tonight going to bed.  She is overtired. It's occurring to her in her still developing brain that life has changed for her. I laid with her in her bed and stroked her still baby soft hair.  I swallowed my tears and listened to hers.  I gave her a happy dream, I told her I took away her worries when I did.  I wish it was true.  I have this gut deep pain that I know I can't take away her worries.  The realization that I can't truly take away her angst is hard on me right now.  She's still so little. I just want sunshine and unicorns and rainbows for her every day.  I let us have our moment and tried to focus on the good.  She went to bed happy.  It's all I can ask.








My next thought is Louise.  She's four.  Next year SHE could go to kindergarten.  How did my tiny babies get so big so fast?
Her fourth birthday was wonderful.  I trusted that it would all fall into place and it did. She had such simple sweet wishes and they were all fulfilled.  Her party with friends was amazing.  We have some wonderful neighbor friends and preschool friends and they all meshed together to make this great little gathering of sweetheart children.



I chose to have the party on a Friday morning so it was just me hosting, meaning I got NO photos (my only regret of the day!)  We made ice cream cone cupcakes, had old fashioned chex mix, fruit salad, and homemade banana muffins for snack.  We decorated party hats, played pass the parcel, even had a treasure hunt for the party bags.  It was so much fun!
Her actual birthday was a bit more low key.  We went to the bakery in the morning after dropping Ainsley off at school.  Our friends Rose and Jeannie gave her a donut with a special birthday tag in it. It made her whole day.  I love those women.  In the evening we opened gifts while sipping on cherry daiquiris.  We ate manicotti and pink elephant cake and put a very satisfied birthday girl to bed right on time.






This first week with Ainsley in school has been interesting.  I am loving the extra time with just Louise and Felix in the morning, soaking it in with my middle child until she too starts school next week.  I love how easy going she is, and self directed.  She spent all yesterday morning working on a glitter glue art project then happily helped me clean out some clothes from her and Ainsley's room (no emotional attachment to clothing is a big plus with her!).  She is so happy to do whatever, and is so creative and sweet.  I love that girl.

Felix on the other hand is in the complete handful stage of life.  When he's awake I have to be on him like a hawk and his nap schedule is all goofy as we figure out this school drop off/pick up thing so it's been tough.  He is SO cute, which helps.  He nods and shakes his head vigorously to let us know what he wants and is so fun loving and playful.  He loves mimicking words and is starting to explode with new ones every day. Our latest favorites are "wow wow wow!" and "cited!" for excited.  He is a climber so he's up on tables faster than you can blink an eye.  Thankfully he's a really good climber so he can get himself down well, but man!  It makes for minor heart attacks all day long for me. He's also proving to be a rather finicky eater which is frustrating.  I don't cater to my kids at ALL in the food department and he's throwing me for a loop.
Good thing he's so dang cute ;o).






I'm dealing with all the change of late better than I thought.  I'm one to worry worry worry and when the time actual comes I'm fine because I'm all worried out.  I am really enjoying this week.  I love getting a few things done and having a quiet(er) house.  Next week will be a bit more chaotic with the addition of Louise's preschool mornings M-Th (well, after labor day they start in full force).  After such a lazy slow moving summer this change of pace to go go go is actually nice.  It keeps the mornings moving along and lets us linger in the afternoons.

I am most excited to get back into the rhythm of making things.  I have lots of patterns and yarn picked out for fall knitting and am exciting to dust of my sewing machine (not that I'll have much time for that if Felix doesn't nap!).  I'm trying to be more conscious about how I use my precious free time.  I need to catch up on so many things but sometimes what I need most is to just sit with my husband at night, watch a good show or play our new favorite game and enjoy the quiet.  Every day is different and interesting and mostly wonderful.

I hope you all are enjoying this last week of August, and thinking of us while you nosh on the delicacies at the great Minnesota get together.  We're missing it big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.