Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Back! and Out Of Hibernation

We're back!  Just yesterday we flew north from sunny Florida (truly the sunniest day we'd had).  The travel could not have gone smoother, the re-entry more slick.  Really, when the worst turbulence in a flight is on the actual plan you know it's been a good trip.

















Last night I hurried around putting away, washing, tidying.  The house is still in a mild state of disarray, but I'm taking my twenty minutes before preschool pick up this morning to rest a bit, knowing there's lots more work to be done.

I wasn't so sure about this trip this time.  Oh the sun and the family I knew would be great, but traveling alone with my three had given me quite the punch to my nerves.  This whole winter I've been struggling with lots of anxiety again.  I think being cooped up so much and so very responsible for the well being of three little people can wear on ones nerves, especially when that one is already quite prone to feelings of panic and debilitating worry.

The week before we left I got in gear.  All the exercise from weeks before had helped calm me, a new supplement I found, lemon balm, really seemed to help take that extra edge off of my angst.  When travel day came it went as slick as could be.  It's amazing how wonderfully helpful and kind people are to a mom with a baby strapped to her back and two little girls tugging on arms, all the while carrying three carry on bags.  The world is good.  I've seen lots of proof.

The trip itself was amazing.  The weather really was perfect for my three fair skinned kiddos, a tidge on the cool side (for Florida that is), some clouds, some sun, lots of water and smiles and joy.  One week just flies down there.  I always want more time.

On the other side I find myself happy and eager.  There is so much good coming up in these next weeks.  Exciting things for Ian, a first birthday for our baby boy, Easter! a brand new baby girl cousin who deserves a few little handmade goodies.  I feel pumped (as Ainsley would say) and ready to go.

So this morning the fridge is stocked, new recipes are awaiting making (I'm very excited about this shepherds pie and this barley risotto, ooh, and this new chicken dish) fresh succulents placed in the window box soaking up the spring sun, so much on the docket for making and learning and play.  Coming out of hibernation feels extra good this year.  I am so thankful for that nudge Florida gave me.

I hope you all had a wonderful spring break!

4 comments:

  1. You traveled with the kiddos by yourself?? Wow, giving you a standing ovation... I'm in awe! Go mama!! :) Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yes! Ian couldn't come the whole time so I flew down on my own with them ad he joined us a few days later and for the trip home. The girls did great, Felix was a bit squirmy, but we made it! I'm glad I don't have to do it again soon though, logistics like going to the bathroom and carrying bags are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, you are amazing! I'm anxious just thinking about one to MN this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT's all relative really, I remember being terrified of traveling with Ainsley at first on my own. I still remember heading back to Minnesota for the first time when she was about 2 months old, my mom had to drive with me because Ian couldn't come. She slept the whole way! And really, in my experience, people are so incredibly accommodating and helpful when you're traveling alone (especially teenage girls). I'm always SO worried, and it's never nearly as bad as i think.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.