Sunday, February 3, 2013

Two Weekends

Like most other alive and kicking human beings, we're big fans of the weekends around here.  Every day is started with Ainsley asking if it's Saturday yet, "does daddy have to go to work today?" because that girl knows if daddy's home it's the weekend, and weekends are great.

Last weekend was extra special.  Ian came home an hour early from work and picked up Louise to drive to Minnesota to "surprise" his mom for her birthday.  Ainsley was a bit sad when they left.  She remembers going the previous two years and felt it really wasn't fair that she didn't get to go again no matter how many times I explained that it was perfectly fair for Louise to get her turn.  Plus?  We had lots of fun.




I've made it no secret that Ainsley and I butt heads from time to time.  my girl's a firecracker and oh boy do we have our moments.  I will admit there was a moment of pause when Ian said he wanted to take Louise this year.  Ainsley and I were coming off of a rough week and if I'm honest, I was looking forward to a break.

But then the other half of our family pulled out onto the road and Ainsley and I settled quickly into some serious mama daughter time.



That night we went out to shop for a gift for her friends' birthday party the next day.  We couldn't find just the right thing so abandoned our efforts and went out for pizza.  The look on Ainsley's face and the server brought out our personal deep dish pizza was priceless.  That thing fed us ALL weekend. It was so so good.  Then we walked across the street, hand in hand to Oberweis (our local amazing ice cream shop).  We got our goodies to go, went home, put jammies on and cuddled up in the chair and a half to enjoy our ice cream while watching an Avonlea.  We went to bed together, a bit early for me, a bit late for her.  We snuggled down into my big bed and it was truly delightful to be snoozing next to my big girl.  Such a rare treat.

Saturday was filled with morning preparations and birthday fun.  Still not finding the perfect gift for her friend we opted to make her something.  Ainsley was so smitten with the nightgown that she's declared she needs one of her own.  I told her I'm happy to make her one, when she needs one.  She's got 3 Grammy nightgowns already!

we used the Raglan Sleeve Dress Pattern from Prudent Baby, 
using the directions and cutting our own pattern from a nightgown of Ainsley's





We needed a little pick me up before the napless birthday party afternoon so we ventured to our local coffee shop for a latte for me and an italian soda for Ainsley.  It was her first and she nursed that drink all day long.  She LOVED it.  We meandered up the block to one of our little thrift shops and found the perfect mug for her friend, for us to fill with homemade hot cocoa mix of course.  Ainsley was so excited about her gift.




After some more pizza for lunch we headed across town to the other local ice cream parlor for some birthday fun.  Ainsley wasn't comfortable with me dropping her off so I stayed.  It was fun to catch up with some mom friends I haven't  seen in a while and see all those kids having so much fun.  I will say that I don't think we'll be giving Ainsley cake AND ice cream any time soon.  She was nuts all night!

We relaxed away the afternoon.  Ainsley still naps most days so she was zonked.  Then when dinnertime rolled around we decided we needed one more special outing and drove the 5 blocks to a little local pub/eatery where Ainsley got a delicious grass fed beef slider and I got a cuban sandwich.  We crashed early that night as well.

Fun outings aside, it was such a great weekend with my girl.  Part of the guilt I have about having our kids so close is that it definitely complicates life and takes away from the one on one time that we get with them on a daily basis.  It was so fun to play with just her, read to just her, talk to just her.  While I love the dynamic of both of my girls together, of our whole family together, it was definitely a special treat and a weekend I won't soon forget.

And this weekend? After a very full week of playdates and adult dates and snow we're enjoying being just us 4 again.  Cleaning a bit as always, smelling some delicious slow cooking food awaiting devouring, feeling calm and blessed and happy.

watching the rain turn to snow


s'more making dessert fun with Jenna and Joey after a yummy cheese fondu dinner




Ah I love weekends.  All kinds.  They're always pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.