Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Of Soup and Tutus and Easy Afternoons

Oh this week. Where were you last week and the week before when I needed you so? Where were you patience? Where were you sun?  Where were you easy afternoons?

It hasnt all been roses of course.  I mean come on, I'm still raising a toddler and preschooler day in and day out, but it's been good lately.  Really really good.  A lot of it has to do with the weather.  We've been outside nonstop for three solid days.  It looks and smells like summer outside and we're drinking it up.

After Monday's excitement over the new backyard pool, Tuesady morning was filled with Ainsley's first playschool field trip to the fire station right up our block.  We trotted up just in time and Louise was ecstatic to get to be a part of it with the big kids.  I of course forgot my camera and SO wished I'd been able to snip shots of both Ainsley and Louise bravely "driving" the engine, Louise toddling around with avid curiosity and my big Ainsley girl sitting front and center for demonstration time, answering every question loudly and assuredle and asking TONS right back.  It was a great morning.

YEt for some reason all the morning activity didn't wear the girls out enough for a nap so we were up and at em at 1pm, hose and swimsuits at the ready.  Even though it was long, it was such and EASY afternoon.

This morning greeting us with cooler temps and just as sunny skies.  After a full walking to music garten and picnic park date morning I put the girls to bed and got crackin' on some soup.  I simply must share.

this is a twist on a soup that my mom found a few years back.  in it's purest form it's a weight watchers recipe.  In my version?  maybe not so much, but hearty and delicious, great for lunch and dinner and best of all?  my girls LOVE it.


Beef Ravioli Soup

1 lb. ground beef (I always use organic 85/15, but you could use leaner if youd like)
4 cups beef broth (vegetable would work fine here too)
2 cups frozen mixed veggies (canned is fine, but I prefer frozen organic)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (stewed could be nice)
2 cups cooked cheese filled mini ravioli (this is a very specific dried pasta I've only found at Trader Joe's, if you don't shop there or don't have one close just use elbow macaroni or another tiny pasta, but I think the ravioli works really well here)

Brown meat. I mean REALLY brown it.  I rarely have to drain off the fat from ground beef because I like a good dark brown crust on it.  Add tomatoes in juice and stir around making sure to scrape off any bits on the bottom of the pan.  Add veggies and broth and simmer.  While soup simmers cook ravioli in a separate pan (this is crucial, if you just throw the dry pasta in it will soak up all the liquid from the soup).  When al dente, add to soup and DONE!  SO easy and delicious.

See?  Louise can't get it into her mouth fast enough


Mmm, soup and homemade lemonade, it doesn't get much better than that!  


Speaking of that homemade lemonade?  I just simply have to share.  The girls and I made our first batch yesterday and it's ridiculously easy and the most delcious ever.

Peel 4 lemons with a vegetable peeler, taking care not to just get the zest, not the white pith underneat.  Place it in a heatproof pictcher.  Add 1/2 cup sugar.  Boil 3 cups of water and pour over the suger and zest.  Stir and let sit on a counter for at least 4 hours (we did it over naptime).  Fish out the peels and squeeze the peeled lemons in, make sure to catch the seeds!  Pour over ice and enjoy.  I will make a double batch next time because this stuff went fast!

My sad attempt at a mother daughter shot.  In retrospect I should have waited for Louise's tired eyes to wear off, and slapped some chapstick on myself..yeesh (me, not Louise, I love those tired eyes)!


Ainsley was reluctant to smile for the camera until I asked her to smile for Lamby.  
Lamby can get her to do anything.


So after full bellies and no naps we decided to meander over to the library.


Yes. You're seeing things right.  Both my girls in tutus.  Both lamby and bunny accompanying us in fancy garb and a pink suitcase filled to the brim with library contraband.  Oh my, this was an entertaining trip.
But look at them...


After finding so many great things, as usual, we headed back home to pitch our tent and read away only to find Auntie Sonya in the backyard!  The girls and I were equally delighted and played away until daddy came home to briefly change and hug before heading downtown with Sonya for the Cubs game.

So the girls and I ate more soup, made some delicious honey wheat biscuits, read ALL the new books, bathed, sang, and went to bed.  I'm debating a bath myself.  An early bed time?  It's been a good day.  An easy FULL good day.

1 comment:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.