Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Days growing up were never a big deal.  Of course we delighted in that extra day off from school, scratching one more Monday off the waning list of Mondays left in the school year.  I'm sure we grilled something, mentioned my veteran grandfather in conversation, but for the most part, it was kind of a normal weekend.

Since moving just west of Chicago we haven't done much more to celebrate.  We live too far to enjoy a cabin for the weekend (11 hours from here!) and sadly Ian has always had to work that Monday (no break for scientists I guess). 

But this year just felt different. In addition to the fact that I'm grown and understand the great significance of this "holiday", we kind of needed one.

Weekends have been hard for us lately.  Getting into this outdoor springtime need to get lots done but still wanting to have fun groove has been tricky.  This weekend Ian and I just kind of clicked, the girls followed suit.  We had an absolute blast.

Saturday morning found us at the Farmer's Market, donuts and potted plants in hand.  I kept to my strict $20 budget (which was HARD, let me tell you) and we enjoyed fresh ciabatta and strawberries for lunch.  I was able to get a good run in before the heat struck and Ian mowed the lawn while the girls each planted their own pot of flowers for our front stoop.  We then went on our inaugural trip to the big pool up the street.  It was a really good day.

learning the cookie dunk


rekindling smoothie popsicle snack love


Then Sunday came and with it an early heat wave.  Rather than let the to dos take over we let the day take us.  We explored a "new" park up north and fell absolutely in love.

climbing rocks galore, big open spaces to run, the perfect climbing gym for my big monkey girl...in love.





We left hot and tired and happy and spent the rest of the morning in the backyard pool.  We then packed up again and headed out for some Indian food, the perfect accompanyment to a hot early summer day.  Mmmm.

Of course the afternoon was spent in the backyard pool on that 90+ degree afternoon.  The girls and Ian went at it with splashing and running and spraying and laughing.  I happily documented it all, clutching our nice camera in between takes to secure my dryness.






it never gets old seeing my boy as a dad, it's magic.

The heat continued strong on Monday and Ian left for work.  The girls and I did our regular grocery run, but this time with a cooler and ice packs in tow to keep our cold things cold while we checked out the River Forest Memorial Day Parade.

I wasn't sure quite what to expect, hoping for something worthwhile, not holding my breath, I was BLOWN away.









After getting there a bit early we'd waited for nearly a half hour by the time those first engine sirens wailed.  Louise clutched to my side, nervous about the goings on.  Ainsley and I comforted her, doused her fear with excitement and cheers and we settled in to the fun.  

Apparently this parade it a big deal.  Families gather like it's the 4th of July, lining this quaint River Forest street with ready bags and festive wear.  Marching bands played, bedazzled cars cruised, candy was thrown.  It struck me in the midst of the merriment that this is the first holiday we've spent in our new home, celebrating WITH our new home.  As I was handed pamphlets and coupns from local business, waved at from firmiliar faces in the crowd, and enjoying the sheer pride in the dramatic march of the high school bands it sure felt like home.  Celebrating this place where we live and our uniqueness.  Hearing other fancy River Forest mama's complain about the lack of yard space while complimenting Ainsley on her tiny Vera Bradley purse (a $5 sale purchase!!!! i wanted to ensure them).

Still, it is OUR place.  A place so different from the home I grew up in, but a place I've grown to love very very much.  It was wonderful to celebrate in our place with my girls (and later my boy when he came home early).  We ended our great weekend with grilled porkchops and marinated veggies, then punctuated it with Molly's berry pound cake and whipped cream.  The whole weekend felt celebratory and good.  I feel thankful for my family, and for our freedoms.  Thankful for a holiday weekend to excuse indulgence and fun, to be reminded of how lucky we are to have this all.

We;re now enjoying the repercussions of a busy happy weekend, finding our new summer groove slowly moving away from planned structured days to free and fun ones.  It's feeling good.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love this, sounds like you guys had a fantastic weekend! I was just telling Mark I need to make my summer "list" of things to do - go to the zoo, visit the Excelsior 4th of July parade, etc. I love your blog and enjoy reading it so much! Happy (belated) Memorial Day! -Bri

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.