Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mama Overtime

Just when I think it's over it starts again.  The super late nights, the weekend workdays.  It's occurred to me all at once that when he's working overtime, so am I.

Really, it's not so bad.  I remember it being more jarring those first times a year or so ago.  I was still new to the mama of 2 thing...let alone the solo parent of 2 for 14 straight hours thing.  But I know my girls so much better now, know myself as a parent.  We get along just fine.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I've learned to drag out the day as long as possible.  Plan "special" events for excitement for us all.  On the first overtime day we went for a 6pm rainwalk.  Usually we'd be eating dinner then, but we'd had a late snack and bedtime seemed far off.  Oh boy, did we have fun.

Louise insisted on carrying her own full sized umbrella the whole way.  Let me tell you, there's nothing much cuter (or slower) than a 20 month old dwarfed under a red mushroom shelter.



not so happy about her hood here...clever raincoat, she couldn't pull it off no matter how hard she tried


Ahh, and my big girl, she knows just what to do with all that rain, oh, puddles too


We stopped at this puddle for a good 15 minutes, the girls entertained endlessly by it's depth and squish, I by our brave neighbor planting her annual garden in the all out downpour "this is the way to do it!" she assured me...I have to say, it looked like fun.



Upon our arrival home you could have wrung the girls out.  Soaked from head to toe I stripped them down in our foyer (a fancy word for those 4 cubic feet between our outside and inside front doors) and hauled my naked babes up to bathe.  

How we all love a good bath, especially to warm those bone chilled little bodies.




We of course cook lots.  Our new favorite?  "Smoothies".  Simply put a bunch of frozen fruit in a blender, cover it by an inch or so with milk, blend...whalla!  My girls are in love with this new warm weather snack, and I love that it's easy to make and gives them lots of calcium and vitamins without ANY extra sugar (come on! I have to make up for our cookie consumption somewhere!).

And Ainsley loves the blending.




I'm seeing way too much of this tongue these days.



Freshly awoken Louise.  One shoe off and one shoe on.



Mmmmm smoothie snack. 


If you saw this on facebook I apologize for the repeat, but I couldn't leave out the best/worst moment of the past 3 days.  Here I thought they were nicely playing for a full hour.  Well, they were, just in their own "special" way.


And if you're wondering how to de-sand two little ones without clogging your hundred year old pipes?    Let's just say there was a hose and a lot of backyard nakedness.  Ainsley almost liked that more than the sandy mess.


She's got those eyes DOWN.



To round out the overtime days Louise and I kept extra busy this morning while Ainsley was at school.  First we visited the Economy Shop (our absolute favorite local thrift store).  I scored, big time.  A vintage (at least vintage looking) glass cream bottle, 4 new sewing patterns, a roll of fingerpaint paper, 3 sets of knitting needles, a gallon sized ziploc of colored clay, an embroidery box filled with thread, a new set of crayola markers, and 5 pillowcases (for more summer nightgowns) and 2 full sheets (for jammie pants).  Grand total?  $7.50.  Gets me every time.


Watch out Laura Ingalls. Pioneer girls Ainsley Vaagenes is right on your tail...she's pretty pumped about this pattern, me too!


I may be a bit obsessed with other people's old sheets.  I paid under $3 for this loot...ah, the yardage! the possibilities!


After the girls are down each night I have no problem admitting that I indulge.  A thick glass of wine, an oatmeal chocalate chip cookie (or two!), new sock knitting (because it's never too early to start Christmas gifts), and old shows.  It's at these times though that I miss my boy the most.  The couch feels big and empty, the house too quiet.  Ahh, at least there's wine.

This is one my favorite wines...I call it chicken wine, have since college, because I'm fancy like that.


I leave the house just a tidge messy.  A shoe here, a tin of crayon blocks there, a wooden espresso machine wherever it happens to land from the day of baristaing, because truly I AM just THAT tired and those last few things are just too monumental to deal with.  Plus is it wrong that I kind of love that impossible small sneaker on the coffee table?


And the last thing that really helps?  My new shawl.  I am smitten.


It's my own personal blanket, enveloping me in warmth and softness.  It makes me feel luxurious and relaxed all at once.  The girls are made with jealousy.  At least I know what to make for them next Christmas!


Ahh.  So we've survived.  Ian's big talk is today and while I expect lots of crazy days to come as the PhD years comes to a close, it's good to know we got this, we're good.


Till next time!


3 comments:

  1. Becky!

    I wanted just say that I read every single one of your blog posts, and while I have no babies of my own - love every single one, and anxiously await their arrival on my f-book newsfeed. I just ran into another ex-Blue Monday's employee the other day and it made me reminisce about all the good (and all of the very bad) times. Glad to see that you are doing well, adore your bloggings and your adorable girls.

    Cicely (your long-ago co-barista)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I am still reading and still loving your blog!!! I hope I get to meet your girls someday... Louise looks so much like you in that "eyes" photo!! Take care!
    Anna Freedman (from Olaf)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to know the Ian's talk was today and you all can see him a little bit more often! I love your pictures and post (as usual) and the dragging out of the day part....oh how I remember those days!! (and your new shawl is gorgeous.....I love both the pattern and the yarn!)

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.