Thursday, December 16, 2010

Birthday Reflections

I'm sitting here at my computer blowing through nap time by looking at old photos of Ainsley. I have been unusually tolerant of her lately, more patient, more understanding. I thought I must have been coming down with something...what is happening to me?!? Then it hit me...my baby turns 2 years old next week. I am tearing up just writing it out.

Oh Ainsley, we've had our ups and downs. From her whirlwind birth and frantic first few weeks (did she every stop screaming?), to learning how to be a mom and simultaneously learning about my beautiful new daughter (no snuggles unless she initiates them, fiercely independent and opinionated, unfailingly sweet and kind, active as all get out) we have shared in so much joy.

These past two years have been the best of my life, and let me tell you that's saying something. Marrying the love of my life and creating two beautiful perfect little girls together...nothing compares to it. Ainsley started our little family. She made me a mom and Ian a dad. She's tested us like I never thought a child would and every day brings something new and wonderful (even if it's a mere moment in an otherwise horrendous day :o). I glow with pride when I see the amazing little girl that she's becoming and simultaneously grieve for the loss of my little baby.

Although I guess Ainsley never really was a "typical" baby. I always envied thoes parents who had baby's who would sit in one place for more than a minute and play with a toy...once Ainsley could move she was OFF! I laugh when I compare photos of her and Louise at the same age. At Louise's age Ainsley was rolling over and over and over, sitting straight up in the bumbo grabbing toys and moving around her crib and floor by scooting on her tummy. Who is this child! I'll tell you who: a child who walked at 9 months 4 days old, chats your ear off on the phone, laughs when you pop a balloon or scare the daylights out of her, screams in delight when she's tickled mercilessly, and LOVES roughhousing, dancing, and spinning, playing with play dough, reading, singing, and being with the people she loves.

I am so thankful to get to spend her 2nd birthday with the people we love the most, family and good friends. I hope I can keep it together on the big day! This is way more emotional than I thought it would be!

Happy birthday my sweet Ainsley. The world is a better place because you're in it!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful reflection Becky. Happy early birthday Ainsley May!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.