Saturday, October 8, 2016

October

I cannot believe that it is already October!  The first month of school flew by.  It was almost one full year ago that I got the call from Ian that we were moving to Minnesota.  In a few short weeks we'll have been here for one full year.  One full year!

It still feels bittersweet at times for us all.  Ainsley was crying again the other day about missing her old school and friends, reminding us that she's going to go to college in Chicago and what are the chicago colleges again? I love imagining my girl all grown up going back to her hometown for college.

Ian and I both miss friends and neighbors a lot (yes all of you!!!!) I find I'm not an adult who jumps in easily to things.  I'm friendly (I hope!) but it takes a lot for me to make a true connection with someone.  I miss the ease with the friends I had there.  It's invigorating and exhausting all at once to have so many new faces here still.

I am so excited to have fall this year.  Last year fall was completely chaotic.  This year we are home.  We have everything in place.  The girls are loving school, after school spanish, dance classes, seeing friends.  Felix is loving preschool, staying after for lunch bunch, his sports camp with his cousin.  I am loving a few mornings a week to myself.  I get to workout at our gym, get errands done quickly and easily.   On Fridays Ian works from home and last week it dawned on us that we could go out to lunch, just us two, so we did.  It's a new phase of life for all of us.  It is so good right now.

After months of being outside in the garden and yard, at parks and on bikes, I'm preparing for the months ahead inside.  Our house feels almost entirely set up.  We got things up on the walls this summer which helped immensely and just yesterday brought home our (new to us) baby grand piano.  In a stroke of complete serendipity my childhood piano teacher was selling hers.  We spend a lot of time every day gathered around the piano, dancing, making music.  It's all I'd hoped it'd be.

I am loving fall cooking and preparing for holidays.  I found a few fun things at our thrift shop to decorate with, and am discovering new favorite recipes and unearthing old stand bys.  I cannot wait for the chicken wild rice soup and beef stew this week.  It's supposed to cool down big time after today.  We've already turned the heat on for a bit and I have a feeling it will go on for good in the next few days.  I can't wait for evening fires and lots of yummy things baking and bubbling away in the kitchen.

I am slowly finding my new groove.  Felix has pretty much stopped napping which has changed my days.  It's the first time in almost 8 years that I can't count on a few hours of time in the afternoon.  I honestly don't mind.  I have my mornings and I am so acutely aware that I have two years left with my boy before he too heads off to full day school.  I'm hanging on with both hands right now.

Today I am thankful for the rain.  I'll get the girls out the backdoor to the bus and Felix and I will hunker down.  Spice playdough? an art project or two? some reading and puzzles and blocks and knowing my guy some sword fights or chasing games around the house.  Then perhaps a nap together (the only way he'll nap) and if I'm lucky a bit of time to myself to finally finish our quilt top or cut out a dress pattern for Louise.  Maybe at least a moment to order my fall project yarn?  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.