Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Moment, or Three

There are so many things about summer that are great.  Splash pads, parks, bike riding, pools, walks, sand, sun, lemonade, grills, popsicles, ice cream, tan lines, gardens. Ok, we get the picture.  I enjoy all of these things until I don't.  When I start to crave more structure and order, cooler temperatures and one dish meals, yarn between my fingers and a sewing pedal pressed under my foot.  Ah, fall.  It's where it's at for me.






It started with the giant yarn order I made about two weeks ago.  I agonized over pattern choices for fall sweaters for the kids, settled on yarn (all super wash mom!  you'd be do proud!), it arrived and I was more excited that Christmas morning.  My fingers just can't knit fast enough.  I love the excitement of this first batch of fall knitting.

And then came that forecast for cooler temps (yay!), and oh dear, those two micro fleece blankets on the girls' beds are just not going to cut it forever.  The girls quilt still sat in pieces in the basement (I think they've been over two years in the making.  It's embarrassing and sad).  With a bit of school time now to get things done, and a baby boy who's quite happy to dance around the basement banging on rhythm sticks and table tops while I work, my sewing machine and I have been flying.  
Both of the girls tops are done.  

I was so excited and motivated that I decided to make a new top for Ian and I too.  I lucked out and got a 1/4 yard of the most beautiful cotton voile (Anna Maria Horner's Field Study line, for those interested in those things) in a scrap bag and decided to use it as a jumping off point.  Giant brick like rectangles and lots of fabric from my stash later it's all ready for sewing.  

I could say this motivation came simply from having the time to do more, and surely that is some of it.  I credit a lot of the fire under me of late to this juice fast I just finished.  I feel amazing.  It hasn't solved all of my issues, but has definitely given me more energy, rebooted my system, and cleared my head.  I have more patience, am more fun (I think!) and have found a bit of that old Becky that I've been missing of late.  I really really recommend trying it if you've been in a fog like I have been.

So now I just need to keep it up.  Keep finding the time I need to do the things that make me happy, while doing all those other things that a mom of three must do.  Keep eating well, planning well (a BIG part of eating well), and in general taking care of myself.

I hope all you mom's and dad's out there take a moment for yourselves today.  It's done me wonders this past week and I have three quilts and an equal number of happy kids to show for it.

see?!?!


Happy Wednesday to you all!


1 comment:

  1. Love the quilts! Fall truly is great for getting some sewing done.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.