Tuesday, July 1, 2014

New Trails

Usually this time of year finds us up north.  It's been a tradition always to be at a cabin for the fourth of July.  Then after marriage and children at least a trek to Minnesota was in order.  This year we are home, alone.  I'm a bit sad about that.  I am missing family and cabin and Minnesota fun more than I thought I would.  But I have three little people to celebrate with and a man turning 30 later this week. Life is full and busy and great, no matter where we are.

After our Boston trip we've really sunk in to summer.  Mondays are errands and groceries. Tuesdays are library story times and gymnastics. Wednesdays and Thursdays are filled with playdates and parks and any kind of summer fun we can think of.  Fridays we have a standing playdate at our favorite splash pad park.  It's the perfect way to round out a full week.  Saturdays are for the farmers market, garage sales, and yard work.  Sundays are mostly restful.

Perhaps this is why little people seem to grow so fast. We get into these slick routines and the time simply flies.

fun at the zoo with friends (Ainsley and a penguin!!!)








Our happy little guy




It was only a matter of time before he started walking around with a little pink purse



This past weekend my sister and brother in law were in town as a stopover on their way up north from Boston.  It was such a treat to get to see them two times in two weeks! (and this time I took some photos!)








We hung out in the backyard the afternoon they got into town. It was SO hot so we just let the kids splash around while we relaxed (and I got to plant some annuals, finally!)
For dinner we ordered some Lou Malnati's (chicago deep dish).  It was delicious. For dessert I made a new recipe from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook.  Snickerdoodle gooey butter cake.  Um, yum.
Sunday we went to the Botanic Gardens in the morning.  It's one of our favorite places.  The flowers are simply gorgeous and it's so nice to get out of the hustle and bustle for a bit.
That afternoon Julie and Sim headed downtown to see friends so we went out for Indian buffet, took monster naps, and Ian took the girls to the pool while I played with Felix around the house.  For dinner we picked up some burritos, then hung out talking and watching some funny shows until bedtime.
It was such a treat to have you guys with us!  We wish we could have continued the journey north with you!

So now our focus is on Ian's birthday on Thursday.  The girls and I ran some serious birthday errands yesterday and I feel pretty well prepared. (SEVEN blocks of cream cheese are currently waiting in the fridge.  I wonder what he could want for dessert?!?!)  The girls are giddy with excitement.  They both have their own gifts, totally of they own idea, to give him.  I just love how much they love and know their dad.  Birthdays are the best.

I hope you all are having a great week!  I'm really looking forward to Ian's birthday and the long holiday weekend.  While I sure wish we could be with all of our family I'm feeling quite thankful for the 4 other people under this roof with me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.