Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Life Today

This past weekend was great.













Saturday morning we were up at at em as usual.  I was in a bit of fury needing the house spotless NOW! and after scouring the dining room floor and squawking at everyone a bit I settled and we got going with our day.

Last week Ian finally got the eye exam he's been needing for ages which confirmed that he does need glasses for those near sighted eyes.  We were in need of a rare together without kids shopping trip to pick out some frames and Auntie Sonya came to the rescue to watch the girls so we could shop Costco with just sleeping Felix in tow.

I took deep breaths when we pulled up because my mom's voice will ALWAYS be in the back of my head when I shop on a weekend (never shop on weekends!  It's too dang busy!) but you know what?  It wasn't bad at all.  We were the only ones perusing the glasses and I honed in on my favorite pair and somehow Ian agreed right away.  In 10 days they'll be ready and he's going to look oh so dapper, and be able to see!

While Ian checked out there I roamed with Felix sleeping on my chest and ooh did I have fun.  I was very thankful for Ian being there.  IT's not often that I go shopping aimlessly and I fear it may have gotten out of hand without his even more frugal than me mentality.  We did purchase a few fun things for the girls for Christmas and for Ainsley for her birthday.  It was fun for me to see Ian pick things out for them.  I tend to take the reigns with gift giving most times, but really, he did better than me I think.

We checked out and stopped by a new to us sandwich shop to pick up some lunch.  When we arrived at Sonya's the girls were so excited to tell us about their fun morning at cool Aunt Sonya's apartment. I'm so thankful for her in this home away from home of ours.  IT's so special for the girls to grow up with their Auntie close (and she's so much more fun than mom!).

We all napped that afternoon, I think.  Or perhaps I kept working on Halloween costumes.  I merely remember that it was fun.  Then Ian took the girls to a friend's for afternoon coffee and homemade egg rolls while Felix napped and I kept sewing away.  That evening we had our annual Halloween chili potluck block party.  It was fun to eat it out of piping hot in bowls with cold hands outside while the kids ran around and played.  There are a million kids on our block and it's so fun to watch them all together, kind of miraculous that the girls are big enough to just do that with very little supervision from us.

Then it was bedtime.  I watched more scandal and knit.  I somehow keep finding ways to avoid the half finished knitting pile by making new unnecessary quick projects.  Fingerless mitts are my latest craze after that Luuk hat pattern I can't get enough of.  Ah.  Love those quick amazing projects.

Then Sunday I was up early for no good reason.  Oh, wait, it was because I finally got a full nights sleep thanks to Felix boy sleeping 9 straight hours himself.  He FINALLY took a bottle Saturday night and I fear it worked wonders.  Now just to keep him from giving up on me entirely! (update, he hasn't taken another bottle since...oh well :o(

Sunday morning we had some friends over.  Parents of a good college friend of Ian's.  They brought gifts for the girls, I made scones.  It was a lovely two hours of sipping coffee and talking while Jim, the dad played castle and knights with the girls.  It was the perfect Sunday morning.

Then they left and Ian and I looked at each other.  Indian?  Indian!  So we were off to our favorite buffett to get out a bit and fill up with delicious food.  We all napped again.  Then parks and raking and leftovers for dinner because who needs a full meal when you've eaten at an Indian buffet earlier in the day?  Then finishing the Halloween costumes and showing them off for daddy.  Then books and bedtime and some boardwalk empire and more knitting.

Now it's Monday afternoon and the girls didn't nap.  But the beds are changed and that roast is bubbling away in the oven and the floors are still mostly clean and four amazing jack o lanterns are sitting eagerly on our kitchen table and the sewing and knitting bug is still as persistent as ever.

I love this time of year.  I love this time of life.  My beautiful sweet family at such a perfect place.  A place where all we need is each other and a bit of crisp air and some of that yummy roast in our tummies.  Ah.  Life feels really good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.