Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Father's Day

We all love a reason to celebrate around here and father's day was no exception.


starting the celebrations early on Saturday evening, "cockytails" for all!

I tend to go a bit overboard with plans and gifts for special occasions,  It's in my blood.  This year though, now that the girls are both so big and independent and Ian is THEIR dad after all, I wanted to leave the bulk of the planning up to them.  Oh man, we had fun.

I barely had the words "what do you want to do for daddy for father's day?" out of my mouth before the girls EXPLODED with excitement and ideas.  A goody bag! Cake! Indian food! Downtown!  

I was blown away by how well they know their daddy.  How between the two of them they truly covered most of his favorite things. (Louise even knew she wanted to cook him something with gravy in it!)  Oh man, they love their dad.

So Friday I took Ainsley to Walgreens to fulfill her desire to make Ian a goody bag for Father's Day (can you tell she's been to lots of birthday parties this year?!) I was amazed at how well she did picking out his truly favorite "goodies".  Lindt chocolates, reeses pb cups, gum, chapstick, a light up lazer pointer pen, corn holders, a postcard of wrigley field, and of course a blue blue bag decorated with Toy Story stickers to house all the goodies.  It was so adorable and thoughtful and such a special gift for her daddy.

And Louise?  well she was ALL over that dinner menu.  The previous weekend the girls and I snuggled down to watch the Pioneer Woman while I nursed Felix.  Louise immediately latched on to the peanut butter oreo pie as something daddy would LOVE to eat.  So we went to the store to buy ingredients, where she was also reminded of that yummy meat she made with gravy and daddy LOVES gravy.  So we bought stuff for salisbury steaks and fettucine too.

And my gift?  Well, a little libation for my boy.  I feel any parent of three children needs some good-ish scotch in the cabinet.

Then Sunday?  Ian requested a beach morning.  I had thought he wanted to go to the botanic gardens and  while last minute revamps are not my forte we made it in one piece and it was, admittedly, kind of a perfect morning.








IT was sunny, breezy and not nearly as crowded as I had thought for a gorgeous father's day morning.  

Some highlights?  Louise REFUSING to pee in the lake, then, when she got desperate enough, shouting "I'M PEEING!!!!!" Over and OVER again at the TOP of her lungs.  Ainsley testing how far she could venture out into the deep on her own over and over, and filling the in betweens with sand castle making, rolling in the sand, splashing and running.  Felix snoozing the whole time snuggled up in the shade of the sling, so content in the breeze.  Ian sitting with his toes in the water staring off at the cityscape. Me snuggling my baby, watching my family play and laugh and enjoy a beautiful morning.

I think a summer of lake Michigan beach exploration may be in our future.

And then?  Well Indian buffet for lunch of course, afternoon coffee and a pool visit for Ian and the girls.    Rich, delicious pioneer woman food for dinner and decadent oreo pie for dessert.  It was a great day and such a fun excuse to spoil our biggest boy a bit.  

Happy Father's Day Ian!  We love you so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.