Saturday, June 4, 2016

Preparing for Summer


Each year so far in my parenting career summer has meant something different. How different each year looks from the last.  I remember last year finally able to give in to the unknown a bit, dive into plans.  It was such a wonderful summer.  This year I find myself hopeful but flurried.  Even after a short two day weekend the kids are at each other's throats and the house is a mess. How will three long months all together in this space look?  I'm not sure, but I'm hopeful.









perennial/herb garden!!!



compost pile!!!


raspberries up the whazoo


strawberries too




Felix's first people


transplanting raspberries for turtle lake


Louise is suddenly looking like a young (beautiful!) lady


my pal Rory



Last Wednesday was Felix's last day of preschool.  I almost felt panicked that morning.  "What should I do with my last morning of freedom for three months?!"  Then it thunderstormed and I laughed because all I really wanted was one last run sans jogging stroller or bikers by my side.  Oh well!

I cleaned the house and went to the thrift store instead, realizing there really ins't a bad way to spend your last morning of freedom for three months.  Then I sat with my little guy, feeling really happy and thankful for the time we have together ahead.

This year I'm gearing up for summer a bit differently.  I don't have to worry about as many what ifs and whens as I used to.  The months ahead feel solid and reassuring.

Still I fear the juggle. I want us all to be happy and have fun and I find as they grow and interests change and solidify it can be hard to give us all what we want all the time (duh I know).  BUT! I want to us all to get at least SOME of what we want in everyday. And even that is proving hard.

Now I have one week of Felix summer under my belt and I feel good.  We had such a wonderful Memorial day weekend at the cabin. We spent so much time fishing outdoors, the drizzly rain haven't little effect. We had fires going all day and it was such a wonderful start to the season. I can hardly believe I have so much cabin time left.


One of Ainsley's great in school notes to her teacher,she apparently does this often and her 25 year veteran teacher has never seen the likes of it before...that's our girl!


Felixn's new bed!/room.  So fun to get it all in order.




Friday night, "I have no plan" pantry dinner. Tuna Patties (DELICIOUS!) TJ's cornbread (always a hit), and green bean casserole (duh!)


My girls at their first Deanne's Dance Recital!!!! I couldn't be more excited if I tried.  (And Ainsley has already proclaimed she wants to take ALL the classes next year (4???!!!!! tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop) I've created little dancing monsters!!!)



peonies from bouqs from Jooj


New artwork from the S.A.P. art fair (that's felted wool and hand sewing and buttons...blowing my mind)


AND a new berry bowl and the second harvest from our strawberry patch (and the sister art piece, all so yum)



new fabric for living room valances


our first piece of big adult art, One Oak Many Nuts, a hand painted print by an Oak Park artist, bringing some of home....home.


This next week is insane.  I'm totally against BUSY but somehow we are.  I am so looking forward to Friday morning. Ian with a Flex holiday off of work, the girls don't with school, Dance and piano recitals behind us.  It's going to feel so good. Enjoy the ride right?

Happy Almost summer to you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.