Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back

I'm back! In so very many ways.

First of course in the physical sense, here in this home after our last trip north for the summer.  Here on this space with my brand new adorable mac (my first!).  Ah, it's a bit like dreamland here really.

Then, well, back at it I guess.  It being life, these last two weeks of summer with all three of my little people underfoot every waking moment.  It all feels a bit too full right now to be honest.  LOTS to do in these next two weeks.  Car buying (ah!!!), Louise's 3rd Birthday (jellybeans!), Sonya's wedding (yay!), the start of preschool for both of my big girls.  It's all so much and exciting and BIG!

I must say, I am so looking forward to the groove of fall.  Orchard apples at the farmer's market, sweaters, close toed shoes, TIME in the mornings to get things done with my little guy, or just oggle his sweet adorable face.

But as usual, as always, I'm doing my best to enjoy now.  These past (almost!) 4 months as a family of 5 have flown by so quickly.  I'm almost hesitant to jump of that trajectory that the new school year will bring.  Before I know it?  Holidays, spring break, schools out again, my baby is one!!!! Ah, no. Can't think of that.  Just. Right. Now.






This week is just kind of melting away.  We walked in the door from our EIGHT AND A HALF hour carried and both Ian and I were tapping our last reserves of patience and sanity.  He trudged upstairs with the girls to bathe them and I set to work unpacking, opening mail, tidying things that probably should have been tidied while Ian had the house to himself for three days!!! (I love him anyways).

Then BOOM! Monday.  I know our routine so well that I hardly need to think.  Those days of planning meals, activities, crafts, ha! I almost laugh now.  I do miss a well choreographed day every now and again, but for now? This is it, I'm rolling with it.

My new plan? Survival, as much fun as possible, and as little fighting as we can manage.  I'm trying a new tactic with food that's working amazingly.  One gigantic Costco run each month for organic meat and pantry staples (we're talking 4 whole chickens and 10 pounds of beef and pork in the freezer, 7 pounds of pastas, 25 pounds of flower, 64 oz of yogurt etc. etc.) then I just add in fresh produce from the farmer's market (ooh berries and peaches, chard and zucchini and tomatoes!), dairy from TJs and bread from our bakery...whalla! food!

IT's been fun to get to make what sounds good every night rather than stick to a plan.  Feeling festive?  How about some African ground nut stew or coconut curry?  Lazy?  Throw in that second pot pie I had miraculously waiting in the freezer?  A bit of comfort food you day?  Ooh how about a delicious eggplant parmesan with beef marinara or cheddar and chard quiche?  So far so good!

As for activities?  Well once a week there's the library, about twice a week there are splash pads.  Every single day there is the walking and biking and scooting, park playing and backyard pool splashing.  It all just kind of works out.

As a result my two girls are getting more creative than ever.  They play Cinderella nearly every day and either one can frequently be found washing dishes "for fun".  Also nearly every day the water color paints make an appearance at the art table.  Now Louise joins in on the figure drawing fun as Ainsley's prowess has developed into full on scenes and stories.  I love it so much.

And my little guy?  Ah, he's almost 4 months old!  His squeals of delight fill up our house and I just hold him and smile at him whenever I get the chance.  I can't wait for our one on one time this fall.  He is an absolute joy.

So yes.  We're back.  And life seems to be normalizing.  While we've had an amazing summer I'm definitely not too sorry to see it end.  Fall is, after all, my absolute favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.