Wednesday, August 18, 2010

So Big

My mom is back in town. Such a relief as I was convinced the baby was going to come while she was gone (that is of course the sort of thing that would happen to me). Thank goodness baby girl is still tucked in tight and while I maintain that it feels like she's going to come sooner rather than later, I am thankful for that.

Ainsley had a rough day on Monday. She was up at 3am asking for her "bar" and "clues clues" (Blues Clues). After an hour of trying to get her to go back to sleep Ian crawled back into bed in defeat. I decided that since insomnia was keeping me up anyways I would give in just this once and take her downstairs. After a bar and 15 minutes of her show she was out cold on the couch. When picking her up to take her back upstairs my huge belly knocked over my half full water glass and I had to put down my now awake toddler to clean up. Oh the life of a clumsy pregnant lady. At least Ainsley went right back to sleep.

We still have no idea why she woke up. Let's hope this isn't a new phase right in time for the new baby.

Other than regressing a bit with the sleep that one night and wanting her pacifier all the time Ainsley continues to amaze me with the speed of her growth. My mom commented that just in the days she was gone Ainsley looks older. Her hair is getting so long and with that long and lean physique she inherited from her dad she has lost that chubby baby appearance almost all together.

Her ever growing vocabulary and ability to understand and communicate is what continues to astound me. Yesterday she was looking through her bookshelf and pulled out the music pamphlet from her musikgarten class, opened it up, started to "sing" and walked over to the keyboard to put it on the stand and proceeded to "play" the music. While I do play with her a fair amount on the keyboard I was amazed that all on her own she recognized that this was not a normal book, but sheet music.

My mom had to run out with Ainsley yesterday afternoon to get a few last minute groceries for dinner and when she returned she said that the whole way home Ainsley was talking about giving me "kisses" and "hugs". When she came back she ran up to me with a big smile and said "hug!" and gave me a big one around my neck. Talk about cute. She's never said hug before!

Ainsley has also turned into a one woman show. We've had a fair share of visitors over the past few weeks and while it may take a few minutes for the initial shyness to wear off, watch out when it does! She starts doing all her tricks, including, but not limited to, running, twirling, dancing, walking backwards, walking on her tip toes, smelling her feet and making an ick face. She cracks herself up and fake laughs when we are laughing about something that she doesn't quite grasp. It's hilarious.

Last night when Ian was getting ready to take her upstairs she lunged for me then turned to push Ian out of the way if the lunging weren't clue enough. This is the first time in a while that she's "chosen" me over him. I must say it felt nice, especially seeing as I haven't been able to hold her in so long (and it's been even longer since she's been able to sit on my lap to read a book or comfortably snuggle).

On the flip side Ainsley is definitely entering that "terrible twos" stage. She throws her food and sippy cup when she's done with them, clearly just to get a reaction out of Ian or I. She can be very destructive, climbing up onto the dining room table and terrorizing the plants and flowers that my mom has filled out house with. So far she is relatively easy to tame with an activity, book, or song. It's been hard to be consistent with any sort of discipline as I can't follow through like I normally would. She's going to have a rude awakening when I'm off bedrest!

I love that little girl like crazy and I know that she's the main reason why bedrest has gone by relatively quickly. I have my own little entertainer! I had heard from people that subsequent pregnancies go by so much faster because you already have a little one, or two, running around. While the tailbone/back pain and discomfort feel the same with this pregnancy (OUCH!) it has definitely flown by despite everything. I can't believe that this baby will be here in a matter of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.