Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Felix is 6!

Felix is 6! Time keeps ticking away. 

He's still at the age where each year his growth is so exponential that I hardly recognize him from year to year.  Last year this time he was a preschooler; begging me to stay as long as he could at school each day because he loved his friends so much.  Now he's almost done with kindergarten: reading to us every night, doing math for fun when he's waiting for a sister at dance or after school, going to friends houses alone after school, coming back on time because he's a responsible little guy.

He still loves his workout clothes and comes down fully dressed for the day as he has since he was in his late 3's.  He still loves juice, any sweet drink really.  For his birthday I got him a gallon of chocolate milk at Costco and I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of his top presents.  He's still an awesome eater, will try just about anything, even spicy things.  For his birthday he wants hot dogs and macaroni, per kid tradition.  I'm excited that it's going to be 74 today so we can grill.  For dessert he couldn't decide, so i decided for him; homemade strawberry ice cream with whipped cream, sprinkles and cherries.  Ian's confirmation class is putting on a banquet for the 8th graders tonight so he has to scoot out early so our plan is to open gifts and eat right after school then make a bonfire and enjoy the night outside.

I'm taking work off today so that I can go on a field trip with Felix to a local farm.  I'm going to his class early to read a book and eat lunch with him, then taking him home straight from the farm.  I'm wondering what we'll do with that hour before we have to go pick Ainsley up from STEM club.  A park? Home to play? I'm just excited for some time alone with him.

Felix continues to be such a gift to me.  He's had an emotional year with many more tears and troubles than normal.  First friend problems have crept up and adjusting from a class of 10 where everyone got along to one of 24 with tiny cliques and dramas has been hard.  But he cries, snuggles into my lap and everything is better.  We can reboot each other so easily.  I've always loved that about us. 

I am so looking forward to the summer with him.  He plays so well and could spend all day just making believe and being outside.  Lakes and parks and sports and reading and crafts and snuggles while reading will fill our days easily and well.

I love you so much Felix and am so glad that you are ours.  I can't wait to celebrate you extra today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.