Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012 or 7 sticks of butter, 2 pints of whipping cream a delicious meal makes

Ah Thanksgiving.  You found us again.  

I know for certain that this Thanksgiving was mellower, easier than all the rest.  For starters I went into it knowing it couldn't be full throttle, really, shouldn't be.  To me Thanksgiving is such a gift.  A delicious long weekend of food and family and fun and simply, nothing else.  

I know for certain how wonderfully effortless this holiday was because I hardly took any photos (ok, not nearly as many as I could have taken).  No snapshots of the bean and feather turkeys on the windows.  No before pictures of the delicious rosemary orange peel apple cider brined turkey.  Heck, no after photos either.  I'm learning.  Living in the moment, being present, being here.  That is what makes this every day, and surely the holi-days particularly marvelous.

We started our simple Thanksgiving prep with a bit of cooking, of course.  A batch of Grammy Sullivan's English Toffee to accompany all that coffee and post dinner nibbling to come.  Ainsley assured me it was a good batch.


Then Nana and Grandpa Dan arrived and we enjoyed the heck out of them.  We spent Wednesday playing and cooking.  (I've learned the key to a delicious low key feast is Preparation! I think I cooked more on Wednesday than Thursday, it was glorious).

Between all the playing and cooking there was a run for me and park romp for all the rest.  Ian snapped this shot of me reading our new library book (In Novemeber by Cynthia Rylant...simply delightful) to an eager Louise.  Louise's little friend Emmerson from school happened to be at the park too and wanted to join in, and even Ainsley joined in at the end.  It's so fun to have one of these precious moments on camera.


After Paula Deen baked French Toast and my mom's beef and barley soup the day before our bellies were primed.  I made traditional Sullivan family egg bake and caramel rolls for breakfast before the crew headed out for the parade downtown.  Ruth stayed to help me in the kitchen.  I already miss her efficiency in there.  Are you sure you don't want to live in our basement full time Ruth?


While stuffing and basting the turkey and mashing potatoes was thrilling, I hear the parade was pretty great too.




We spent the afternoon sipping coffee and playing boggle.  While losing handedly over and over again was rather fun, Louise joining in on the play was definitely the highlight for me.



Then around 3pm it was turkey time!  After watching way too many Thanksgiving specials on Food Network (ok, two) I was confident I could take on the carving all my own.  I'll admit it was rather fun.


Ainsley was a bit enthralled.


:: a family photo with all the food,
butter basted turkey with apple herb stuffing, turkey dripping gravy and mashed potatoes, soul sweet potatoes and green beans, rolls and cranberry sauce.  Oh! and of course homemade pumpkin pie with vanilla whipped cream::


:: No. Words.::


And then of course it was crash time.  While us adults worked off all that tryptophan by sitting and playing a bit more boggle the girls danced around us princess style.  Louise in particular was taken with her role.




::Ainsley was quite happy to snuggle with daddy::




::Love this one of Sonya and Dan and the beloved Grinch, Ainsley's new best friend::


After an early bedtime for the girls and more games and bit of nibbling for the adults we called it a night.  We woke up to a calm contented house and relaxed morning before Ruth and Dan packed back up to head north.  We miss you guys already!  What a fantastic holiday.

And then, faced with a too quiet and surprisingly clean house we needed a Christmas tree.  Immediately.

::oh the delight of those little girls, pure magic::


::I kind of like it too::


::Vaagenes children #3,1, and 2, all in a row::





We're not diving head first into the Christmas season just yet, but edging in bit by bit.  This year I'm planning on leaving most of the decorations in their boxes, only pulling out a few choice items for the treasured spot on the girls' Christmas table (our coffee table turned preschooler playspace for the season).  Even the tree will take some time to complete.  We have plans for popcorn garlands just like in Little House Mama! and gingerbread ornaments but we get to eat some too, right?.  Paper chains and of course the much anticipated felted stocking advent.

This time of year is always so precious to me but especially so this year.  The last with my family of four, the first and only with my almost 4 year old and my sweet toddling Louise, oh, and that handsome boy too.  I'm savoring each drop of it all.


Happy Thanksgiving!  Merry Christmas Season! Joy and Love to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Cute Thanksgiving story. Grandpa is trying to send a comment... Hope it works. Love, GtGrpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. Do you give out your english toffee recipe? I am looking to make some this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.