Monday, January 5, 2015

Food and Getting Organizes and Other Big and Little Things

One of my (many) new years resolutions is to stop trying to play catch up.  So right now I'm here and I want to write about now.

Today I am excited about cooking (again, finally).  It's a never ending annoying (for you to listen to too I'm sure) battle.  I love to cook but having it be such a large part of my job wears on me almost daily at some point.

This past week I've been making bread again.  The bakery where I buy our bread takes a nice long winter break (which I LOVE for them) but it means we need bread.  I pulled out my sunbeam bread maker and have thrown this loaf in three times now.  It's perfect and delicious and the giant load lasts us at least two days.  And can I just mention how much I've missed a good grilled cheese on thick slabs of fresh homemade bread? or coming in from the morning run around to a warm yeasty house?  Yum.

I have to mention this pasta I made last week.  It was amazing, so easy, and with light cream cheese and 2% milk a delicious nod to it's alfredo cousin.

I also made this yummy chickpea and greens stew that we put over baked sweet potatoes.  I loved it more the more I ate it and had it again for lunch.  This kids weren't such great fans, but sometimes I just don't care too much about that.

This week I'm making...

Pioneer Woman comfort meatballs, mashed potatoes, and green beans (an all time family favorite.  I always make a double batch to freeze for another time)

split pea soup with barley and ham (oddly enough I have ALL of the ingredients for this just lying around the house)

gnocchi with butternut squash and kale - super excited about this one, my sister made an amazing hoe made sweet potato gnocchi at Christmas (or was it Thanksgiving?) and Ive been jonesing for some ever since

crock pot chicken tikka masala, with peas and naan - we went to our indian buffet this past weekend and they DID NOT have butter chicken.  It crushed me.  I'm hoping this will suffice.

roasted chicken and veggies - a favorite simple meal of mine

and of course, a frittata, ALWAYS frittata

ooh, and a Moosewood blueberry lemon poundcake.  I made it with that delicious grassfed irish butter and it was ridiculously good.

Food aside, life is good.  I am really looking forward to these next three months, just being here, in our groove.  I took advantage of some end of Christmas sales to get the girls each new swimsuits, cover ups, and sandals.  Felix got some new sandals too.  Now I feel all ready for Florida in March and can really just sit back and relax.

My next big project is to get caught up with my photos.  I just ordered 1400 prints from shutter fly which will catch me up to this fall.  Then I'll do a batch after Florida (I assume) and get all caught up.  I'm just doing simple binders and photo sheets.  Perhaps I'll cover the binders in fabric to make them pretty.  Really I just want hard copies.  And if I'm REALLY ambitious I want to make myself a favorites photo book with all of my absolute favorite photos from the past 5 years or so.  Oh, and I have to make Ainsley her 6 year photo book.  Goodness, lots of photo work to be done!

I'm excited to do a bit of sewing soon as well, though I'm struggling with finding the time to fit it in.  I would love to make myself this dress with these fabrics, and of course new sundresses for the girls (Louise picked that one out).  Felix's button down I made him still fits, but I may try to find some simple shorts pattern for him as well.

Ok, so maybe there's nothing too big in this post, just fun little things.
I'm hoping this new year finds you all well.  Happy Monday!




No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.